Winter Awakening


after Kotaro Takamura

Winter morning.
Even the River Jordan must be skimmed with ice.
Inside, covered in my own white blanket, I lie
Wondering about last night’s play, how it might have felt
To be John the Baptist, guiding Christ into the river,
Or Salome, holding in her hands la tête coupée.

Winter morning.
From the street echoes the clatter of wooden clogs.
Inside, I feel nature’s immensity turning in me,
Silent, like the orbit of constellations.

The sweet aroma of mocha
Spirits itself into the room; eyes suddenly open,
It all comes to me, like a precise equation,
Those harmonies and patterns that run
Through the lives we make ourselves.

Awake, my love!

Winter morning,
And outside your house, the chirrup of birds.

By now you will have opened your dark eyes,
Arms stretching out like a child, smiling,
Dappled, beautiful, by sunlight.
And I am seized to tap out
With my fingers, on my
White blanket, love’s
Warbled song.

Winter morning,
And my heart and voice overflow with this sweet life.
The sky’s morning haze is gold-flecked, amber and blue.
And, from afar, the howl of an English pointer
Awakens something in me, a deep-seated
Animal hunger, a yearning
For my beloved, you.

Winter morning,
And on the River Jordan, my spirit gnaws at the ice,
Exultant, breaking through.


14 comments:

  1. The Chieko poems chart the life of Japanese artist Kotaro Takamura's with Chieko Naganuma, an iconoclastic woman artist - their attraction, separation, marriage, her illness and death, and ultimately, the power of love.

    This interpretation complements the translation work by talented scholars - such as Leanne Ogasawara, Paul Archer and John G. Peters - to whom I owe great thanks.

    Short link - http://bit.ly/s4winterwake

    ---
    This labor is also being done to highlight the relief efforts of the Red Cross, and other agencies, in the wake of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Please help if you can...

    • US - Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10
    • Canada - Text ASIA to 30333 to donate $5

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying the Cheiko poems Samuel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very beautiful. Everything in this series. I hope to get my press up and running in the next while and we will assuredly talk-- I especially loved:


    By now you will have opened your dark eyes,
    Arms stretching out like a child, smiling,
    Dappled, beautiful, by sunlight.
    And I am seized to tap out
    With my fingers, on my
    White blanket, love’s
    Warbled song.

    gorgeous. xj

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely, sensitive piece. I'm particularly taken with S3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful capture of that winter morning....I feel the ice wrapping my shoulders but also the power of love breaking through ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...ahhh, Winter morning...nice to have the feel of your thoughts in it Samuel!

    ...and you certainly have the 'gift' for weaving words...loved this:

    "The sky’s morning haze is gold-flecked, amber and blue.
    And, from afar, the howl of an English pointer
    Awakens something in me, a deep-seated
    Animal hunger, a yearning
    For my beloved, you."

    Keep the ink a flowin' Samuel!

    Roger ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow sam i like much...esp the close of gnawing through that ice...the slow awakening throughout...the mocha sounds nice as well...tap, tap...and a warm turn to the one you love...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an immediacy here, a moment by moment experience, each one full of layers of meaning to savor and plumb, how we are and aren't part of winter, of morning, how we are joined even when we are most apart...loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. vey cool...you start with images i wouldn't have expected..the river jordan, john the baptist and salome holding his head in her hands...and then you wrap us with warm aroma and a love glimpse..very nice work with the contrasts sam and also great you come back to the jordan in the end..

    ReplyDelete
  10. really neat read. Love the us of the w Winter morning,
    And outside your house, the chirrup of birds.

    By now you will have opened your dark eyes,
    Arms stretching out like a child, smiling,
    Dappled, beautiful, by sunlight.
    And I am seized to tap out
    With my fingers, on my
    White blanket, love’s
    Warbled song.

    Winter morning, it worked out so well for while reading, loved it. Love the images you put in here, and the style to each line. Very good job here. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful beautiful poetry. One day you will be famous, I'm sure of it.

    & mental note to self: buy a white blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this, beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very good read with captivating imagery.

    Cheers,

    Mark Butkus

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!