Fire Down on the Labrador


Awash on the lifeboats, we cling to oars
and pull away from the ship, toward shore.

Not far, the subtle conflagration spreads
its wretched treachery across the deck,

touching off the veined sinew of the nets,
devouring canvas, timber, lies, regrets,

sieving memory from desire, turning
sackcloth to ashes, our whole world burning.

Prayers cannot salve our desperate flight,
drifting into the maw of endless night.

Unmoved, the sea around our struggle swirls
in its unfinished current, the blue world

untethers icebergs in its patient stream,
continues in its deep cetacean dream.
.....

5 comments:

  1. Short link - http://bit.ly/s4downon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire the way you maintain a rhyme scheme so subtly that I don't notice it until the 3rd or 4th read when I finally move it to my mouth so I can taste the words. Your voice is strong, rhymes never forced, and I love the multi-layered content.

    I don't know why I keep being surprised by you. One would think I'd expect it by now.

    Another great poem, Samuel - Can't wait for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhat of a synchronicity here, since I am about to start watching Master and Commander again. Phenomenally fantastic this, fluid as ocean waves. Similar also to my own "Pelagic Prosody":

    http://www.obsidianeagle.com/2010/04/pelagic-prosody.html

    PM me when "Sonata" is complete!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the kind words, so glad you've found a connection here

    ReplyDelete
  5. chillingly desperate. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!