Fallen Mummer on Brookfield Marsh


If I die, this is the way it should be:
surrounded by those I love, who love me.

Not wandering lost among the ice floes
like a hunter, stumbling as the storm grows

stronger. Not adrift in the Labrador,
on a wayward schooner, hull ripped, sails torn

by iceberg caprice. But warm; attended
by a sainted entourage, befriended

and familial; comforted by Yuletide
rhymes and songs; in kindness wrapped and quilted.

The wind flutters our veils like angel wings.
This starry sky deep consolation brings.

Away your tears, for I die not alone;
but stay till death’s sled comes to whisk me home.
.....

3 comments:

  1. Inspired by a David Blackwood etching of a fallen mummer surrounded by friends.

    Mummers were actors in traditional folk plays, originally from England. In Eastern Canada groups used to go house-to-house in the deep winter, much like carolers. Houses were spaced far between, and sometimes winters were so harsh that such crossings could be perilous indeed.

    Short link - http://bit.ly/s4fmummer

    ReplyDelete
  2. They still do it in my home town, Change Island's NL. It's an island which still makes it safe to do so...it was so much fun! I was home in 1993 and we went mummering~what a great memory! Rum, accordions, rum, dancing, rum, laughter and, oh yeah, rum! Great poem!

    Breeze

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I always interpreted the fallen mummer to be a victim of, you guessed it, rum!

    Breeze

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!