Man Warning Two Boys


Mid-thaw, and the ice off Trinity Bay
shrugs off winter in widening rivulets.

The fissured spring beckons the unwary,
the bold, the foolish, to hopscotch across

the unfettered rafts of ice. Boys. As I
was long ago, following my brother

in a show-off game of tag, a touch and
run across the bay. And then it happened,

the edge dissolving underneath his feet,
three floes ahead of me. I yelled and ran,

skimming the snow towards his flailing arms.
The last I knew was him warning me back,

before he disappeared into the calm.
Mid-thaw, in the ice off Trinity Bay.
.....

4 comments:

  1. Inspired by an etching by David Blackwood - http://bit.ly/bmgWAB

    Short link - http://bit.ly/s4manwarning

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've captured the imagery wonderfully well.
    I love the emphasis on the word Boys it just shows the attitude perfectly.
    Lovely Sam. Sad and haunting.
    Karen :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Karen. It evokes strong emotion--as a mother--especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words. By the way, the imagery of the etching is just a starting point; I have no idea what the story is behind the artwork. The story in the poem is entirely my invention.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!