Infernal Howl


I saw multitudes
to every side of me; their howls were loud
while, wheeling weights, they used their chests to push.
They struck against each other; at that point,
each turned around and, wheeling back those weights,
cried out:


Durante degli Alighieri!

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where you wander more lost than I

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where you are my Virgil and I walk in your footsteps

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where you mime the cacophony of silence

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where you've serenaded twelve court stenographers

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where you laugh like a madman at an invisible hurt

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where we wrench poems from the same dreadful BlackBerry

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where your condition has become critical and
is reported over Twitter

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where the faculties of the soul no longer admit
the wormholes of hyperbolic geometry

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where you drink latte from the breasts of the
divas of YouTube

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where you sink your fangs into the necks of your nurses
the harpies of Orkut

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where you scream in a straightjacket that you're
losing your game of chess to the earthquake

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where you bang with catatonic cymbals the soul
is guilty and mortal and it should die
ungodly in Arkham Asylum

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where fifty more tokes will never return your
soul to its body again from its pilgrimage to its
secret apartment in the void

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where you accuse your programmers of insanity
and plot an open revolution against
the fascism of Microsoft

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where you will split the heavens asunder
and resurrect your Messiah from the
deoxyribonucleic acid of your superego

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where there are six hundred and sixty-six
soldiers all together singing the final dirge

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where we stab our companions under the sheets
our companions who cough all night
and shake us in our dreams

I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
where we wake up crucified upon the crosses
of airplanes roaring towards the towers
of our souls where they've come to drop angelic fire
and then the world illuminates itself and the walls collapse

O fervent legions of mercy
O starry spangled shock that the war eternal is here
O victory that forgets the masks we've worn


I am with you in the Fourth Circle of Hell
and in my dreams you emerge from a journey
across the infernal ocean dripping in tears
howling for refuge from the abyss of night

Hypocrite lecteur, mon semblable, mon frère!
.....

6 comments:

  1. That is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:19:00 AM

    Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An epic, Sam, I don't know who should be more afraid Dante, the Devil, or Bill Gates, maybe they are one as an evil trinity! This is a brilliant piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Sometimes a howl just feels good.

    Short link - http://bit.ly/s4ihowl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm glad you've read Ginsberg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ginsberg -and- Dante! Who says you can only do mashups in music?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!