The Labyrinthine Ways


I flee you, down the labyrinthine ways
across the margent of the world, a maze

of landscape stricken by desire and pain,
purpureal twilight drenched with tears and rain.

I flee you, and you follow, hound of hell,
blood dripping from the heart I wounded well.

To all things swift for swiftness do I sue,
but am betrayed by them as I did you.

With dread, I hear your footsteps sounding near,
and your vast severed voice calls ever clear:

Who will you find to save your piteous self
but you, but only you?
No, no one else.

The cavern’s darkness ends your long pursuit.
And here I stand, surrender absolute.
.....

5 comments:

  1. A standalone poem; but also the tenth sonnet in the vampire cycle, which together tell one story.

    The preceding sonnets are 'The First Deadly Sin', 'When I Die', 'The Second Deadly Sin', 'The Poison Works', 'The Third Deadly Sin', 'You Have Not Destroyed Me', 'The Fourth Deadly Sin', 'And I Rise', and 'The Fifth Deadly Sin'. Click 'V' above for the full cycle.

    Each 'Deadly Sin' poem is from the perspective of the vampire, and each poem after is from the perspective of his victim, in response.

    'The Hound of Heaven', which figures in this sonnet, is a religious poem written in 1909 by the English poet Francis Thompson, and describes the pursuit of the human soul by God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each as a standalone is brilliant, as a series compelling. I'm hoping for a sixth deadly sin soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Purpureal twilight drenched with tears and rain." I can visualize a watercolor of the moors. Your imaging is replete with etched detail. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work continues to inspire! Your level of descriptive detail is truely remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm liking this place. going to read here a while...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!