The Fifth Deadly Sin


I am become Vesuvius, a molten
fury flows through me like a tsunami
of fire, consuming all in its path.

And you dare stray in this eruption’s course?
My sulphurous rage will suffocate you,
coalesce into an incendiary

labyrinth from which there is no recourse.
Minotaur of tephra, I will devour you
until there is nothing left of you, not heart,

nor liver, nor spleen, nor all-too-human soul.
Charred and wasted, lost in this pyroclastic
conflagration, your soul will cry out mercy -

And I will trample on it, scatter far
your ashes from the pyre that is Pompeii.
.....

5 comments:

  1. A standalone poem; but also the ninth sonnet in the vampire cycle, which together tell one story.

    The preceding sonnets are 'The First Deadly Sin', 'When I Die', 'The Second Deadly Sin', 'The Poison Works', 'The Third Deadly Sin', 'You Have Not Destroyed Me', 'The Fourth Deadly Sin', and 'And I Rise'. Click 'V' above for the full cycle.

    Each 'Deadly Sin' poem is from the perspective of the vampire, and each poem after is from the perspective of his victim, in response.

    The fifth deadly sin is wrath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem isn't going to let me sleep tonight

    ReplyDelete
  3. As if to taunt, my soul would snarl mercy ontop the ragged rocks. Hmmm.. lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me feel like being in the middle of a bad relationship. "My sulphurous rage will suffocate you," <- Love this line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When writing the full sonnet cycle, I framed the relationship of my vampire and victim as a metaphor for abusive relationships. Several readers have caught this subtext.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!