Deeper the Wound


Deeper the wound than the reach of my thrust,
like a stake piercing your heart. From the dust,

a chain inscribes a pentagram around
your staggered ankles; one heave, and you are bound.

The pulleys of heaven groan, but they hold
as you struggle, weakened, weary, cold,

hauled up in an inverted crucifix,
just as you had me, from the ceiling’s reach.

Around the cavern, the shadows bristle,
a malevolent thirst, a dark missal.

The last of hope from your open wound bleeds.
That, and my mimicked keen: the call to feed.

Life transmutes in a savage alchemy.
So darkness betrays you, who betrayed me.
.....

2 comments:

  1. A standalone poem; but also the twelfth in the vampire sonnet cycle, which together tell one story.

    The preceding sonnets are 'The First Deadly Sin', 'When I Die', 'The Second Deadly Sin', 'The Poison Works', 'The Third Deadly Sin', 'You Have Not Destroyed Me', 'The Fourth Deadly Sin', 'And I Rise', 'The Fifth Deadly Sin', 'The Labyrinthine Ways', and 'The Sixth Deadly Sin'. Click 'V' above for the full cycle.

    Each 'Deadly Sin' poem is from the perspective of the vampire, and each poem after is from the perspective of his victim, in response.

    There is one deadly sin left in the cycle - pride - and one response, and then the sonnet cycle is done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This appears as a stand alone piece for me, beautiful metre and couplets, Crucifix/Reach especially workable. Really excellent Sam.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!