The Third Deadly Sin


Behold, you are fair, my beloved, and
while life still in you breathes, I spirit you
to my sepulchre, to the sunless sea.

There you will be the centerpiece of my
sculpture garden; castings fashioned not of
marble or wax, but of sinew and flesh:

Aphrodite of Milos, dismembered,
beautiful; headless Winged Victory of
Samothrace
, eagles’ wings lashed to her back;

Sabine Woman, face enraptured. And you -
you will be my Francesca di Rimini,
the softness in Rodin’s Le Baiser, lips

raised to your lover’s lips, like fevered wine.
Thus, my beloved is mine, forever mine.
.....

4 comments:

  1. A standalone poem; but also the fifth sonnet in the vampire cycle - 'The First Deadly Sin', 'When I Die', 'The Second Deadly Sin', and 'The Poison Works'.

    Click 'V' above for the cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grenhilda6:49:00 AM

    Spirited away, romance and death. As usual you don't disappoint. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sonnet, as a form, is strangely vampiric; it does have a timeless desire within the structure...

    I really think this vampire cycle holds something very unique and special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! For those who were wondering, the third deadly sin is greed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!