Should You Ask Me


Should you ask me, some sudden night,
When you are shaken by thunder
Or wake to the batter of rain
Hammering the window,
I would have to say: No. Not anymore.
I do not remember anymore
The color of leaves, or night falling,
The fingered dusk, or how you stood,
Raising your hand, when you left,
And I watched you from the door.

After a time nothing seems the same:
A way of walking, a swallowed glance,
A breath, all these,
Whirlpool-encircled, fade
Slowly into the startled depths,
Buried without a sound.

The way the sun does not cast shadows.
The way clouds are torn from the sea.
The way the trees do not bend anymore,
Anchored in the rise.

No, these are not thoughts that have fallen,
Aimless, to the frozen earth,
Nor the withered husks of days
Trampled underfoot:
No longer forgiven by rain
Or the night's long oblivion,
We make up the silence
Like a sheltered wave,
Broken and surrounded.

And we have nothing, nothing,
Save the night,
Swept with lightning and rain,
And darkness raging around us
Like a flame.
.....

10 comments:

  1. Excellent... love the imagery here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely describes the feeling of loss when someone is no longer there. It's an emptiness that cannot be filled - and a feeling as if the world really does cease to exist for a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the darkness burns brightly sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree the ending will stay with me. Love that. My only nitpick is "the batter of rain gnawing at the window." "Batter" and "gnaw" don't work well together for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grenhilda6:55:00 AM

    Images of nature capturing the nuances of emotion which can't really adequately described. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the feeling well.. You captured it perfectly...So sorry you should know this feeling...But then again, that is why we write:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a lovely write. I enjoyed the calmn yet dark picture you painted in words. Nice one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. your writing is just fabulous! it captures the essence of the bittersweet bites of life with eloquent word magic. love it, love it. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a poem that has evolved in form and imagery over time, but the core has been the same. Thank you for the kind thoughts.

    Short link - http://bit.ly/s4shouldyou

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you are shaken by thunder
    Or wake to the batter of rain
    Hammering the window,
    I would have to say: No. Not anymore.
    I do not remember anymore

    DEEP!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!