Pact

If you should chance to pass this way again,
taking the covered path you used to take,
I should be waiting here for you, as then.
At such a time there would be left no words,
nor voice nor eyes raised up to meet your own;
only, perhaps, a countenance of stone,
or gesture in the wordless flight of birds.

So shall I play the wind when you return;
I shall be there where you least expect me:
a sudden ripple spreading on the lake,
or an uncertain gust about your hair,
your hands opposing in a grim delight.
Such as it is, the morning stirring you
With a bright gust of wind and shaken leaves.

I shall not have disturbed a single word
of what was said, and what was left unsaid,
but startle like that call from a rafter nest
you discovered one night above your bed,
and peered to see. 'So small,' you told yourself,
'I would have missed it if I hadn't heard.'
I should be waiting here for you, as then.
.....

5 comments:

  1. "So shall I play the wind when you return;"

    This line sticks out oddly for me. In my head, it seems it should either be a question: "So, shall I play the wind when you return?" or it should be shuffled to read "I shall play the wind when you return."

    But that's just me. Otherwise, beautiful, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's both! That's one of the reasons it's written that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me feel floaty inside. I love it. The voice has an archaic lilt, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That lilt may be from the subtle rhyme and rhythmic scheme; it's a free verse poem masquerading as a traditional form.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful poem - but perhaps masquerading too much? It bothered me that expectations of rhyme scheme were broken in second verse, particularly in its last line.

    Reads better aloud of course ... and I perceive the middle verse as a departure in sense also ... and it's good to make these experiments ... all the same....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!