Not Getting Up Till Ten


Glorious!

Just to
lie here,
last night's
dreaming
pulled tight
over my head.

Not even
to stretch out
for the glasses
that would bring
the dresser
back out
from its
comfortable
haze.

Not even
to ask,
What time is it?
Thankful
for small mercies
like forgetting
to set
the alarm.

Not even
to dip one toe
into the cold,
blue
linoleum
of morning.

But
just to lie here,
just one minute
longer,
just a little
more,
to let
those last
few bars
of dreaming
run over
and over
their well worn
groove.
.....

7 comments:

  1. I am soooo not a morning person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a gooood morning! I like this line especially...
    "last night's
    dreaming
    pulled tight
    over my head." Yah... hit the snooze button on the alarm please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, okay, give me a cappuccino with an extra shot of espresso, and I'll pass for awake. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job. This one, with its subject matter and pacing reminds of Billy Collins's poetry.

    I especially like the lines:

    "dreaming
    pulled tight
    over my head."

    "...cold,
    blue
    linoleum
    of morning."

    Thanks for the poem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billy Collins' poetry! Oh, that's high praise indeed. I'm not worthy, obviously, but thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!