Still Life


1
There is no refuge in your sleep;
your breath refuses to give in.
In the darkness
your lips move, soundlessly.
For an instant I believe
you are saying my name.

2
What is it that you see
with your eyes closed?
When I touch your eyelids
my fingers come away trembling.

3
With you I am like a stranger,
terrified to move.
I try to take your restlessness
into my hands, but you escape.
Even now the lamplight turns you
into someone I don't know.

4
Until morning I lie
with my ear pressed against your chest.
Somewhere inside you
the dark sea rises and falls.


5 comments:

  1. Full link -
    http://semaphore1.blogspot.com/2009/07/still-life.html
    Short link -
    http://bit.ly/s4still

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful! (But please fix typo: "stranger".)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm just bleary-eyed at midnight, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible writing. This is beautiful, intimate, powerful. You give breath and meaning to words so easily. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lover's utopia.. you walk in beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!