Inside

Tonight I found it, inside
a book you'd left behind. Pressed
leaf, butterfly, the photo fluttered out
between the covers to the floor.

I didn't look at it at first. I couldn't.
And now, too late, I find myself taken
with a sudden desperation and afraid,
afraid of the night, the cold, afraid
of something I am not yet sure of,
that seeing your face again I should remember
much more than just the color of your eyes,
afraid I should remember
the way you smiled, or talked,
or how the sun shone on your hair
that day we walked alone, out on the strand,
and you asked me what I was thinking.

I loved you. That was all.
And yet - and yet -

I remember a time you said you'd hated me
like nothing else. I had no right
to ask, you said, no right at all.
Your hands clenched at your sides.
You turned your face away.
And when later in the afternoon
I found you in the garden,
watering the azaleas,
your hands were still shaking,
and you wouldn't let me
see your eyes.

I called you twice,
from the kitchen door, before you came.
And when you answered, I grabbed you
and held you tight, face buried in your hair,
not knowing what to say except your name,
over and over until I believed
nothing else could ever exist in this world
but you.

Now, too late,
I remember walking your parents home,
that August night. I remember
your father talking of how quickly
the leaves had changed.

We said good-bye at the lamp by the gate.
I remember turning to look back
from the other sidewalk,
how they too had turned

And how suddenly there was nothing,
nothing at all,
inside.


9 comments:

  1. Semaphore this is a sad poem. I can feel the longing for this other person's companionship that's obviously been lost. You certainly know how to search the heart. Hope all is well. Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the heart beats in the words and between: very fragile verses sung: the title so lovely and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not only solidly true, but worded with elegance and restraint

    ReplyDelete
  4. Universe of details. Sensitivity at surface skin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merci beaucoup...

    Short link - http://bit.ly/s4inside

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always nail your endings. But here you nail the opening. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. You officially took my breath away with this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I feel like I am the one with the pained heart after reading this. You have such away of allowing your readers to feel your words :) A sad but beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emotions elegantly expressed, with vivid imagery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!