Inscription on a Chinese Ceramic Vessel


1

These evenings
I have many visitors
among my officers;
we drink tea and wine
and talk about the time
when we can drive the Mongols out.

2

I remember springs
filled with the wings
of a thousand butterflies.

When summer came
the trees were heavy
with the nests of bees.

Autumn; my officers
come in from the hills,
and we talk.

In winter it is always cold outside.
I stay indoors.
It never stops snowing.

3

I have been here a long time now,
and I think of the time
when I can pack my things
and go home.

The night grows colder.
I wish I could go home
in winter, just the way it was
when I left.


7 comments:

  1. My father, an archeologist, introduced me to many ancient Asian artifacts. Among these antiquities was a semi-glazed Chinese ceramic vessel, which at one time used to hold alcoholic spirits. Somewhat uniquely, this bottle was inscribed with three poems.

    Experts provided a literal translation. While the first verse is a fair representation of the original, I have taken slight liberties with my interpretation, colored by my imagining of what the general may have really wanted to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this translation, there is much subtlety and the every day flavor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your translation works for me as well. It's great how poetry crosses over to other dimensions and captures our heart. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Short link - http://bit.ly/s4inscript

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way time collapses. One can empathise with the human conditions of fear, hope, home sickness, appreciation for nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The amazing Leanne Ogasawara has woven an exquisite and detailed story around this poem, in her "Tang Dynasty Times" - http://www.tangdynastytimes.com/2010/07/inscription-on-a-chinese-vessel-.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!