Homework


On the kitchen table he's pushed back
salad bowl, toaster, salt and pepper shakers,

a Maginot line against sleep.
His pencil stutters its precarious

telegraph message on paper, repeating
the wall clock's morse of half-past one;

across the room the radio blares
its muted reveille. No use -

Already the calculator's numbers
are beginning to fray like streetlamps

in an evening mist, already his books
are eyelidded in a conspiracy

of fingerprints, already he feels himself
falling, falling, falling, falling

into the refrigerator's cyclopean snore.
Upstairs his bed waits destitute

among the train sets and soldiers,
cold and unembraced, a forgotten lover

staring at the ceiling, marking time
by the spider's trembling geometry.


5 comments:

  1. I never thought of living as homework before. And I'm not saying that is what you meant... I really love your images "spider's trembling geometry":beautiful and haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love "the spider's trembling geometry" and "the refrigerator's cyclopean snore", "the bed waits destitute", "muted reveille", "pencil stutters' ... oh gosh, the whole lot really!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is excellent. I love the imagery that resonates in every line of your writing. I so envy people who write poetry with ease!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The words morph my reality right into that vividly made moment and feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words!

    Short link - http://bit.ly/s4homework

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my site, I'm grateful you've taken the time to read. If you liked this selection, you can download a sampler of (or buy!) my books at the following links...

- Sonata Vampirica
- Sonnets from the Labrador
- How More Beautiful You Are
- Tango Desolado
- War and Ablution

...And, if you can, please leave a rating at Amazon.com. It's easy, and it does help a lot.

...Thank you!